- 200g of uncooked black rice
- 1 cucumber
- 1 green apple
- 1 shallot, finely chopped
- Squeeze of lemon juice
- 1 bunch of fresh dill, chopped
- 2 tbsp of freshly chopped parsley
- 1 tbsp of freshly chopped mint (optional)
- 150g of hot smoked salmon
- 2 tbsp of white wine vinegar
- 4 tbsp of olive or rapeseed oil
- 1 tbsp of honey
- 1 tbsp of freshly squeezed lemon or lime juice (plus extra as needed)
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Rinse the black rice a few times, then bring to the boil in a large pan of water. Cook until al dente following the packet instructions. Once cooked, rinse well to remove the excess colour. Set aside for a moment and leave to cool.
- Slice the cucumber lengthways, then scrape out the seeds and chop into 1/2 cm pieces. Chop the apple into similarly sized small pieces. Add the cucumber, apple and shallot to a serving bowl with a squeeze of lemon juice to keep the apple fresh. Add the cooked and cooled black rice, dill, parsley and mint (if using). Flake in the salmon pieces and mix gently to combine everything together.
- Whisk together the dressing ingredients in a small bowl and season to taste. Pour the dressing over the salad and stir. Do adjust the seasoning once you have done this – it may need more lemon juice or even a squeeze of lime (this depends on the saltiness of the fish and the sweetness of the apple you've used).
DISCLAIMER: We endeavour to always credit the correct original source of every image we use. If you think a credit may be incorrect, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.