This showstopping festive desert looks beautiful on the Christmas table, and is entirely vegan. All the vegan substitution ingredients can be easily found in most large supermarkets these days, so is surprisingly simple to make.
For the base:
- 250g of vegan digestive biscuits
- 100g of vegan margarine
- 1 tsp of ground cinnamon
For the filling:
- 100g of dried cranberries
- Liquid for soaking (see method)
- 450g of unflavoured vegan cream cheese
- 200g of unflavoured vegan yogurt
- 1 tbsp of cornflour
- 2 tbsp of golden syrup
- Holly leaves
- Fresh pomegranate kernels
- Preheat the oven to 180°C. Grease the base and sides of a 23cm loose-based tart tin.
- Place the cranberries in a small bowl and cover with soaking liquid of your choice – perhaps vegan red wine or brandy, fruit juice or an alcohol-free fruit punch. Leave to soak for up to an hour until required.
- To make the base, put the biscuits into a plastic bag and bash with a rolling pin until they resemble breadcrumbs.
- Melt the margarine in a saucepan, then take off the heat and stir in the biscuit crumbs and cinnamon. Mix thoroughly, then press the mixture into the base of the prepared tin and press down with the back of a spoon. Bake on a baking tray for ten minutes.
- For the filling, put the vegan cream cheese, vegan yogurt, cornflour and golden syrup into a large bowl and mix well. Drain the cranberries and gently stir into the mixture.
- Spoon the filling over the biscuit base, smooth it with the back of a spoon and return to the oven for 30-35 minutes until golden and just set.
- Allow to cool in the tin, then remove from tin onto a serving plate and chill until ready to serve. Decorate with holly leaves (not for eating!) and fresh pomegranate kernels.
Recipe courtesy of The Vegan Society 2017, photography by Sue Hicoe