Who doesn't love chocolate brownies? Daughter of world-famous chef Gordon, Tilly Ramsay, shares her easy recipe for the favourite sweet treat. Whether you make them for the family come the weekend or the office midweek, brownies are a bona fide crowd pleaser.
- 115g of butter, plus a little extra for greasing
- 300g of caster sugar
- 225g of dark chocolate
- 75g of plain flour
- Pinch of salt
- 1 tsp of vanilla extract
- 75g of cocoa powder
- 5 eggs
- 250g of dried sour cherries
- 2 tbsp of milk, if needed
- 100g of popping candy
- Edible glitter or sprinkles, to decorate
SPECIAL KIT LIST:
- 25 x 30cm brownie tin
- A heatproof bowl that fits over a saucepan
- Heat your oven to 180˚C/160˚C fan/gas mark 4. Grease and line a 25 x 30cm brownie tin with baking paper.
- Put the butter and sugar into a mixing bowl and beat together using an electric hand whisk or by hand, until light and fluffy.
- Next, melt the chocolate. Put a saucepan on to the hob and add some water so that it comes about 5cm up the side of the pan. Bring the water up to the boil then turn the heat right down so it is simmering gently.
- Break the chocolate into small pieces and put it into a heatproof bowl. Place the bowl on top of the saucepan until the chocolate has completely melted, stirring from time to time. Make sure the bottom of the bowl isn’t touching the hot water though, as this could cause the chocolate to overheat (you can also melt the chocolate in a microwave).
- Pour the melted chocolate into the butter and sugar mixture and whisk to combine.
- Add the flour, salt, vanilla extract and the cocoa powder and mix together.
- Crack the eggs into a separate bowl and beat them with a fork or whisk until well mixed. Remember to wash your hands if you get any raw egg on your fingers. Stir the eggs into the chocolate mixture until mixed together.
- Finally, gently stir through the sour cherries. If the mixture feels too stiff, loosen it with a couple of tablespoons of milk.
- Pour the mixture into the lined tin, then put it into the oven to bake for 40 to 45 minutes until the brownies are coming away from the side.
- Take the brownies out of the oven and leave to cool in the tin.
- When cool, cut into big or small squares depending on how many people you are serving or how greedy you are feeling.
- Sprinkle with the popping candy and edible glitter or sprinkles.
Recipe extracted from Tilly’s Kitchen Takeover by Tilly Ramsay, £20. Hodder & Stoughton.