A nourishing, tasty and well-balanced vegetarian breakfast, full of good fats, iron and protein. Smoky fibre-rich black beans are spiced with paprika and chilli flakes to fire up your metabolism, and you'll get plenty of nutrients from the spinach, avocado, fresh tomato salsa and soft poached eggs.
- 2 spring onions
- 120g of ripe plum tomatoes
- Handful of fresh coriander
- Juice of 1 lime
- Coconut oil
- 240g of drained black beans
- ½ tsp of smoked paprika
- ¼ tsp of chilli flakes
- 80g of spinach
- 2 eggs
- 1 avocado
- Sea salt and black pepper
- To make the tomato salsa, finely slice the spring onions, dice the tomatoes and roughly chop the coriander, then place in a bowl with half the lime juice.
- Heat 1 teaspoon of oil in a frying pan on a low–medium heat. Add the drained black beans, smoked paprika and chilli flakes, season with sea salt and black pepper and cook for 5 minutes.
- Add the spinach and cook for a further 2 minutes, until wilted. Stir in the remaining lime juice.
- Meanwhile, bring a saucepan of water to a gentle simmer. Create a gentle whirlpool in the pan with a spoon, then carefully break the eggs into the middle, one at a time.
- Cook for 3–4 minutes, until the white is cooked, then remove from the pan.
- Peel and de-stone the avocado and thinly slice.
- Place the spicy black beans on warm plates, layer over the avocado slices, spoon over the fresh tomato salsa and top with the poached eggs.
- Sprinkle with a pinch of sea salt and black pepper and serve.
Recipe courtesy of Mindful Chef Eat Well, Live Better by Myles Hopper and Giles Humphries (Century, £20)