Ideal if you're gluten free or wanting to limit the number of processed foods in your diet, this seed and oat loaf is tasty, filling and a great source of energy. Have a slice in the morning with eggs, or smother in nut butter for an afternoon pick-me-up.
- 130g of pumpkin seeds
- 90g of flaxseeds
- 150g of gluten-free oats
- 3 tbsp of psyllium husk powder
- 1 tbsp of nori sprinkles
- 1 tbsp of nutritional yeast
- 1 tsp of sea salt
- 2 tbsp of chia seeds
- 65g of hazelnuts
- 4 tbsp of ghee or coconut oil, plus extra to grease
- Mix all of the dry ingredients in a large bowl.
- Melt the ghee or coconut oil and whisk it into 350ml of water. Add this mixture to the dry ingredients and stir until combined. The dough will be very thick but you should still be able to stir it. Add a couple of additional teaspoons of water if needed.
- Transfer the dough to a 900g loaf tin; a silicon one is the most practical but a standard metal loaf tin will work too. If using a metal tin then make sure to grease it well with ghee. Smooth the surface of the dough with a spatula, it will have a heavy, thick and slightly gelatinous texture. Once evenly spread set aside for 2 hours. If leaving it for longer, cover with a tea towel.
- Heat your oven to 180ºC/gas 4.
- Place the tin in the oven and bake for 20 minutes. Remove from the oven and turn the bread out (it should come out easily; if it doesn’t, place it back in the oven for 5 minutes and try again). Place the bread directly on the wire rack in the oven and bake for a further 30–40 minutes. If the loaf sounds hollow when you tap it then you know it is ready. Leave to cool on a wire rack and do not try to slice it until it is completely cool.
- Once cool, cut the loaf in half, then slice one half and insert squares of greaseproof paper between each slice. Transfer to a freezer bag and place in your freezer to use for toast. Put the other half in an airtight container – it should keep for up to a week.
Recipe courtesy of A Simple Table by Chi-San Wan and Natali Stajcic (Yellow Kite, £25)