Makes 8 bars
Easy to rustle up, these bars are a good option when you need to eat breakfast on the go or for an afternoon snack. Almond, cashew or macadamia nut butters all work well to add protein and flavour.
- 100g/3½oz of jumbo or rolled oats
- 50g/1¾oz of extra virgin coconut oil
- 2 tbsps of honey
- 2 tbsps of nut butter (of choice)
- 1 tsp of vanilla extract
- 3 tbsps of raw, shelled pistachio nuts, roughly chopped
- 50g/1¾oz of desiccated coconut or dried, shredded coconut
- 2 tbsps of dried goji berries
- Preheat the oven to 180°C/350°F/gas 4. Line a 23 ×15cm (9 × 6in) shallow baking pan with baking parchment. Spread the oats thinly over the parchment and bake for 15 minutes or until golden.
- Put the oil, honey, nut butter and vanilla extract in a saucepan over a medium-low heat, and heat gently until well combined and the oil is melted.
- Stir in the baked oats until well coated. Add the remaining ingredients and mix well.
- Tip the mixture back into the baking pan and press down firmly using damp hands.
- Put in the fridge for 1 hour or until firm, and then cut into 8 bars. Wrap each bar in parchment to take to work. Store in an airtight container for up to one week or freeze for up to 3 months. Defrost at room temperature for a couple of hours.
Recipe courtesy of Packed by Becky Alexander and Michelle Lake, photography by Haarala Hamilton (Nourish Books, £12.99)